Weddings and Marriage in the Barrow and Wolds Group





      To download a copy of the weddings information leaflet click here

     To contact us to book your wedding  click here

      To contact us to book your banns click here

      Order of Service Template Order of Service Template





 “God is love, and those who live in love live in God and God lives in them.”
(1 John 4.16)

We are delighted that you are thinking of having your wedding service
at one of our churches and we hope that your wedding will mark the
start of a long and happy marriage. We are here to help you make
your wedding a truly special day to remember.
There is a lot of information on the Church of England website and there you will find helpful links to
all aspects of a church wedding. The information included in this
leaflet is designed to give you the key information you will need to
know, please contact us for more information, and always contact us
before making any arrangements.

Legal requirements.
Requirements for marriage – You must be old enough,
able to give your consent, and must not be closely related
or already married. If you have questions or are unsure
about this speak with the vicar in confidence.

Qualifying Connection – You may marry in the parish
church where you or one of your parents lives or has
regularly attended services for six months. You may also
marry in the church where one of you was baptised or
confirmed or where your parents or grandparents were
married. If you are attending church services in order to
establish a connection for your wedding, we will usually
ask you to attend at least once a month for six-nine
months and to record your attendance.

Banns – Banns of Marriage must be called in the parish
where you are to be married. If you live elsewhere they
must also be called in your home parish, (you can find this
at, a fee is charged for this
including issuing a Banns Certificate, valid for three
months. It is your responsibility to ensure this is done,
and the certificate will be required before you can be
legally married.

Licence - Most couples do not need a licence. Occasionally
there are reasons why banns cannot be read, for example
if one of you is not a British National, if that applies to you
we will explain how you may go about obtaining a licence.

Registering your marriage and marriage certificates.
The system of registering marriages and issuing certificates is about
to change, currently your marriage would be registered by the priest
taking the service and your wedding certificate issued at that time.
This may well have changed by the time of your wedding and you
may have to register the marriage after the ceremony at a central
office and be issued with your certificate once registered. We will be
able to give you more information nearer the date of your wedding.

Marriage preparation.
You will be invited to attend on of our two marriage preparation days
(usually October or March). These are planned to give you a full
understanding of your marriage service, together with information on
music, readings and other details. Attendance at one of these days is
essential and therefore mandatory.

What happens in the service?
Vows – The service includes authorised vows. Couples are
not permitted to write their own marriage vows for a
church wedding.

Music and Hymns – The minister taking your wedding and
the organist will both be able to advise you on these. We
usually suggest three hymns and music during the signing
of the registers and for the entrance of the bride and
procession out of church as a newly married couple.

Readings – You will be asked to select at least one Bible
reading and we will give you suggested suitable readings.
You may wish to include other readings or poems; this
should be discussed with the minister taking your

Prayers – There are standard prayers in the Church of
England service. The minister taking your wedding will be
happy to discuss alternatives with you should you wish.

Practical arrangements.
Orders of Service – You will need to arrange to have an
order of service printed. We will be able to provide you
with details of what needs to go into your order of
service, including a template document.

Rehearsal – This is usually in the week before your
wedding and will be arranged by the minister taking the

Photography – Your photographer is welcome to take
photographs during the service. Please ask them to
contact the minister taking your service to discuss what
they can and cannot do.

Video or Recording – If the wedding is to be recorded
than an additional fee of £30 each must be paid to the
organist and choir members to cover performing rights.
Copyright permissions must be obtained for all music and
readings used if the service is being filmed.

Confetti – Biodegradable confetti may be thrown outside
the building, but not inside the building please.

The tradition of the bride arriving late – Please don’t! The
church personnel or building may well have other
commitments, this may have implications for your service.

We do not have a church choir able to sing at your wedding at any of
our churches, but the Caroline Sharpe Singers can be booked to sing
for your service. Contact Caroline on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

When can I get married?
Please complete an enquiries form or speak to us to check your
desired dates are available before confirming any other bookings.
Marriages must take place between 8am and 6pm on any day of the
week. We do not normally book weddings for Sundays, during the
week before or after Easter or from the week before Christmas until
after the New Year, as these are particularly busy times within the life
of the church.

How much does it cost?
Statutory fees are set each year by the Archbishops’
Council. The current statutory fee for the wedding service,
calling your banns, and the marriage certificate is £512. If
you live in a different parish, that parish church will
charge you £48 for calling your banns and providing a
banns certificate.

Additional fees are charged for the organist at £80, and
the bell-ringers at £20 per bell (£160 at Barrow and
Prestwold, £120 at Wymeswold and £100 at Walton).
There is also a fee of £40 for the verger who prepares the
building, furniture, sound system etc for your wedding
and in the winter months (September to May) a
contribution of £80 towards the cost of heating and
lighting. These charges are set by the individual churches
and go to the people providing these services for you.

We take a refundable deposit of £100.

Final invoices are payable six weeks before the date of your wedding,
we will give you BACS payment details or you can pay by cheque.

Marriage blessing and renewal of marriage vows.
We are happy to arrange services of blessing for a civil marriage and
also renewal of marriage vows to mark a significant anniversary.
Please contact us for more information.

What if I am divorced or in a civil partnership?
Even if one or both of you are divorced, there may be a way for you
to marry in church, but you will need to talk to your vicar as soon as
possible. The vicar will ask to see the original copy Decree Absolute.
Anyone who has entered into a civil partnership is not free to marry.

Same -Sex Marriage.
The law prevents ministers of the Church of England from carrying
out same-sex marriages. And although there are no authorised
services for blessing a same-sex civil marriage, your local church can
still support you with prayer. If you would like to discuss this further
with the vicar please contact us.

Our church services.
Services are usually held on Sundays at the following times. You will
always be very welcome but please check our website as there may
sometimes be changes to our usual pattern. We will usually let you
know when your banns are being read.

• 9.15am St Andrew’s, Prestwold.
• 10.30am Holy Trinity, Barrow-upon-Soar.
• 11am St Mary’s, Wymeswold on the 1st, 3rd and 4th
Sunday of the month.

Staying in touch.
We would love you to stay in touch after the wedding and will always
welcome you at any of our services. Why not think about coming back
to church to celebrate your wedding anniversary. If you are planning
a family, you may want to think about contacting us to enquire about
baptism (christening) at that time.

How do I book, what do I need to do next?
The easiest way is to fill in an enquiry form on our website:
Under ‘Life Events’ click on ‘Weddings’ and complete the Enquiry
Form. Once we have received the enquiry, we will be in contact with

Contact us.
If you would like to ask any questions or talk to us about your
wedding, then you can get in touch with our administrator, Hannah:
• Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
• Tel: 07753 857804
or the priest in charge, Rev’d Clive Watts:
• Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
• Tel: 07534 899522

N.B. Statutory fees and other costs quoted were correct at time of
printing but are subject to variation.